Color: CCC
Images OnOff
Normal site version


Старый корпус УлГПУ (нынешний факультет иностранных языков)

History of Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University started on 1 October 1932, when it  was Pedagogical Institute, first opened its doors to future teachers. At this time, there was unprecedented scale industrialization.  In addition, the program of elimination of illiteracy was completed.  Created system of primary and secondary education demanded a massive influx of qualified teachers, experienced teachers of youth. The newly created educational institution was called to solve these state problems.

The first director of the Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute was appointed Vasily Ovseychik, who previously worked as Deputy Director of Samara Pedagogical Institute of Studies and Head of the Department of Political Economy.

The Institute was granted one of the best buildings in the city on 25 years of October street (now   V.I. Lenin 100 Anniversary Square, the building of the Faculty of Foreign Languages) for studies and Institute received several rooms in the vicinity of learning Campus building for accommodation of 130 people.

Several apartments were obtained for the invited lecturers. Palace Book handed over library in the amount of  2500 volumes of educational, foreign and scientific literature to the Institute and there was opened the reading room for 35-40 people.

On July, 7, 1932 the announcement appeared in local press. It was reported: "Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical Institute announces student admission on the the 1932-33 school year. Admission is carried out on branches: historical and economic, chemical and biological, physical and mathematical. Applications are accepted in at the premises of the Institute: 2, 25 years of October street (former Streletskaya street)", Ulyanovsk” At the same time it was reported that at the institute was opened a working faculty, which accepted the workers and farmer, who have comleted 7 years to the third course.

A difficult business at that time was a set of teachers and students, but that problem was solved. There were filed 80 applications from teachers, 12 of them were enrolled to the staff, including 4 associate professors, 1 performing the duties of assistant professor, the other assistants.

 According to local newspaper" Proletarian Path - "On October 1 classes started at Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical Institute. Pedagogical Institute and technical school is fully staffed with teaching staff and students. Workers' and Peasants core of the institute was 70% and 71% in the technical school. All students and teaching staff carefully gathered for the start of classes. Work started in all groups. The Institute has a wonderful library, Military Cabinet, a chemical laboratory and so on., All cabinets are reequipped and renovated. There is  absolute purity In the offices, in the dormitory, and in the corridors. An agreement was signed with gorkoopitom on nutrition of students."

The first academic year was extremely difficult. for the Institute staff.  Due to lack of fuel temperature in the classrooms and dormitory in the winter months was often kept at a minus level, many students experienced serious financial difficulties, the only source of livelihood for them was a scholarship in the amount of 32 rubles. This was the reason that the 28 students and 19 students of the Institute workers' school have left their studies for a year. The absolute academic progress at the institute was 88.2% and 95% for technical school.

Preparing for the new 1933/34 academic year, the institute's leadership sought to significantly improve material  domestic conditions for students. It was harvested enough fuel, was opened  a canteen, the area of dormitories was expanded to 1, 000 square meters also the size of the grant was increased.

The people's commissar of education of RSFSR A.S. Bubnov who was in Ulyanovsk at the end of August, 1933  attentively acquainted with a situation at institute and  noted that the new higher education institution  has created in the homeland of Ilyich and his group "found themselves enough internal forces and hold high the banner of teaching education. "

The Ulyanovsk teacher's college not only  became stronger, but also h developed around itself a number of new educational institutions: full-time and part-time faculty, training courses, the correspondence sector and part-time teacher's college with physical and mathematical and natural departments, also a years’ pedagogical courses  with departments of social science, physics, biology and chemistry.

In 1934 at the pedagogic institute, there were essential structural changes. Instead of departments two faculties were created: physical and mathematical and natural. The historical and economic department was liquidated, and his students were transferred to department of history of the Samara teacher's college. In the same time the correspondence department of the Ulyanovsk pedagogic institute on specialties "Russian and Literature" and "Biology and Chemistry" was open.

Need for accelerated training of teachers for incomplete secondary schools demanded the organization of two-year teachers' institutes. This institution began operating in September 1934 as part of the Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute. He had two departments: "Russian language and literature" and "Biology and chemistry", and in 1935 began to produce a set of students of physical and mathematical and geographical department.

Every year the Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute grew and gained strength. The number of students increased to 600 people. In 1934-1936, the Institute received three dormitory buildings for 300 people. ew offices and laboratories were opened (botany, zoology, psychology and so on. D.). All rooms at the same time were served as the premises for lectures and seminars, as well as for independent work of students.

The library book fund significantly increased. In 1933 it was 10 000 volumes, then in 1936  it became 30,400, and in 1940 there were 44 500 volumes, including more than 20 000 volumes of textbooks. Reading room with library expanded to 60 seats, and the number of library staff increased from 2 to 4 people.

By the 1939/40 school year, institution had three buildings: the main on October 25  street (28 rooms, 22 audiences and assembly hall) and the second  Labor street (22 rooms) where  were the library, reading and two sports halls, auditoriums  of literary faculty a methodical study. Dormitory students accommodated in the building 49 Lenin Street, and two newly built special buildings  on the Old Wreath.

In process of expansion of educational structure all-institute and faculty departments were created. By 1941 the institute had 3 faculties and 11 departments.

The list of the teachers of the Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute was completed from the scientists, who had a great pedagogical and methodical experience, good scientific and theoretical training. By October 1, 1932 12 scientific workers were employed on the staff of the Institute: V.P .Ovseychik (political economy), V.N. Basov (pedagogy), Yuri Ivanov (story), D.I. Dema (dialectical materialism) Z.A. Chinnova (pedagogy), E.A. Krivchikov (military director), A. Anikin (gym teacher), N.V. Skorohodov (physics), N. Ryzhkov and B.K. Dobronravov (mathematics) , P.Y. Grechkin (chemistry), G. M. Klein (German). In January, 1933 I. S. Kudryavtsev (pedagogy), A. T. Andreyev (political economy), D. P. Razina (dialectical materialism) and S. I. Efremov (history of the party) were appointed. Among them there were 4 associate professors, the acting professor and two acting associate professors, the others — assistants. Except permanent members of staff at institute part-time workers were involved. In total in pre-war years at institute more than 300 scientists worked apart from part-time workers.

War violated a peace rhythm of life, creative plans. As well as all the country, the institute began to live the harsh, intense military life. On June 23 the mass meeting of students and teachers took place at institute. On it were the director of training courses in the university I. V. Verkhov, Dean of literary faculty  P.S. Beysov, secretary of the party bureau of physics and mathematics N.P. Netsvetaev and others. In the resolution adopted on a meeting its participants unanimously declared: "We know that our cause is right, and  with all the courage and the bravery we enter the Great Patriotic War against Nazi vermin. Each of us even more clearly will fulfill their civic duty to the Motherland on his production post."

At once many teachers, staff and students submitted applications with a request to send them voluntarily to the front. Only for the first month of war about 20 teachers and more than 60 students went to the front. And all in sacred war against Hitlerite hordes  fought more than 250 teachers, employees and students, who by the beginning of war worked or studied in UGPI. The gallery walls of Battle Glory of the Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University kept the names of the heroes and their memory. The heroic feat carried out and those who worked during the war in the rear, directing every effort for execution the main task of "All for the front, everything for victory!".

The teachers of institute, who had military training, carried out the duties of commanders and fighters of the political divisions in the military training areas, the students participated in the population’s preparation to air defense, worked during the holidays at the enterprises of the city, fields and farms in region. There were hobby group of small arms, an easel machine gun and mortar worked, training of telegraph operators, radio operators, nurses. From students of a final year 3 sanitary teams were created. In the 1941/42 academic year, the bulk of the students passed the 200-hour program of military-athletic training. Boys, consisting on the military account, carried out 110-hour program general compulsory education.

In total for war years, more than 1 200 people received military specialties at institute. The military and sports department that was transformed in 1943 to military department headed all work on military preparation. The lieutenant colonel in resignation N. V. Semyonov was appointed its head.

A lot of work was carried out by group of students and teachers not only at institute, but also in the city. Student teams regularly met sanitary train, helped to place the wounded soldiers. Good memory of a medical orderlies was left about themselves in the hospitals which were placed in the years of the war in Ulyanovsk, especially in sponsored hospital No. 1646. Daily they directly from lectures went to on duty in hospital, performed medical procedures, washed the floors and the dishes, washed clothes, spent sleepless nights at the bedside of seriously wounded, in free time read them newspapers and books, wrote from their name letters to friends brother-soldiers, the family and acquaintances, prepared concerts and holidays. And in the morning they hurried on classes again.

Employees of library of institute organized book recursors in hospitals, delivering monthly for wounded soldiers about 13 000 books, and a considerable part of books the library has transferred to hospitals to free use. Only patronized hospital received from it more than 500 books.

The educational case of institute was transferred to headquarters of the VOLGA MILITARY DISTRICT, and the hospital and medical institute  were placed in two hostels on the Old Wreath, evacuated from Voronezh. Soon Pedagogical Institute has lost another two buildings on the street Labor, which housed the literary department, gymnastic hall, a rich library and a dining room. UGPI was forced to change venues of studies repeatedly. The institute lost also all offices. A considerable part of the valuable equipment and many devices of physical and chemical laboratories due to numerous moving were broken or lost.

Despite all the difficulties of wartime, USPI moved forward in its development. The number of students  reached 600 people, laboratories were expanded, new offices were open, the fixed assets of library are put in order. In 1943 the Faculty of History was open, which later was transformed into the History and Philology.

The last military academic year passed in a situation of decisive victories of the Soviet Army. Working conditions in institute improved, and behind it there was a big hard work of institution staff.

In the postwar years the Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute managed to significantly expand the study area of due to return of the two school buildings on the street Labor and liberation of the municipal bank premises in the main building, which made it possible to expand the classroom fund and to increase the area for offices and laboratories. In 1951/52 academic year the institute had in the main case 22 audiences, the assembly hall on 300 places, 11 well equipped offices and laboratories. In the basement masterful departments of physics, a broadcasting center, buffet and clothes were located. In 1955/56 academic year in basements of two educational cases the machine department with 12 milling, drilling, planing and grinders, metalwork and joiner's workshops, an engineering science office, radio-and photo laboratories were created. On 162 square meters the premises of library were expanded, allowing to open a second reading room with 40 seats, to allocate rooms for teachers and issuing books and expand the library.

Gradually the living conditions of students were improved. All successful students were provided scholarships for 220 to 290 rubles, depending on the course. Excellent students received higher scholarship for 300 to 365 rubles.

USPI book library fund significantly increased (from 67 000 to 100 200 volumes). All employees of the library had a higher or specialized secondary education. All conditions for increasing the number of students were created. In 1950 at institute, the postgraduate study was open, conditions for the publication of scientific works have improved and qualification of teachers increased. New faculties, specialties were opened. The faculty of foreign languages (1946) and faculty of preschool education (1960) were opened.

Lectures, seminars, practical and laboratory classes remained the main forms of study at institute. Much attention was paid to introduction into educational process of special faculty courses, practical works, preparing essays and term papers.

Different forms for verifying the results of independent work of students were used. In addition to seminars and a practical training, colloquiums, interviews, selective check of records of lectures and lecture notes were held.

Throughout the school year, teachers and support staff practiced duty of teaching, who controlled the work of the students and gave them consultations, if it was necessary.

The most important element in the training of teachers was a teaching practice for high school. In 1947, for the institution two schools of the city were fixed as a base for the teaching practice of students and research work of teachers: the 4th women's school and the 26th men’ school, and later Lenin1st high school.

In the early postwar years, students of initial courses had a teaching practice due to the study of psychology. Within two weeks they learned and observed certain pupils on lessons and in their free time according to the special scheme, which was developed by department of pedagogics and psychology, talked with students, their parents and teachers.

On the second course during teachers practice students paid more attention to pedagogy and teaching methods, they studied school structure, organization teaching and educational work, attended the lessons, carried out extra-curricular activities. Senior students had complex practice. The best teachers, directors and head teachers attracted there for the management.

In the 50 years the system of teaching practice in Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute reconstructed, continuous practice was introduced for junior courses students. Within academic year, without separation from studies, they gave help to teachers, class teachers and pioneer leaders: twice a week, they attended the lessons and after school time they performed students meeting, evenings, student conferences, reviews of stands produced charts, tables, verified diaries visited students at home. By the 4 course they had to fully master the basic skills of extracurricular activities.

In 1955/56 academic year there was a new form of of the results of teaching practice. It was pedagogical readings. They gave scientific and practical character to total conferences on teaching practice.

The success of the Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute in the preparation of the teaching staff was highly appreciated. On September 13, 1956 the Decree of Presidium of the Supreme Council of RSFSR appropriated a name of the outstanding teacher educator I. N. Ulyanov to Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute.

In the 1956/57 academic year, the Institute launched a teacher training of wide profile. This required a new major restructuring of the educational work. Duration of training increased to five years. The physical and mathematical faculty began to prepare mathematics teachers and drawing, physics, electrical equipment and engineering science; natural faculty prepared teachers of biology, chemistry and geography; historical and philological faculty prepared teachers of history, Russian and literature.  There were introduced additional courses and specialized practical, classrooms and laboratories have been equipped with new machines and devices.

Month production practice at the automobile factory and factory "Contactor" was organized for students of physics. Machines at which students worked under the leadership of masters and supervisors were assigned to each student. This experience was approved by the Ministry of Education of RSFSR and included in curricula of all teacher training Universities as a compulsory subject.

The main base for the students of geological faculty became agrobiological station on the banks of the river Sviyaga in which all the conditions for carrying out field practice were created: greenhouses, typical school gardens, a small orchard, educational apiary, rabbit and duck farm, dormitories for students and teachers. First-year students studied field practice in zoology and botany within one month. The village the Lava of Sursky district and the Kuibyshev sea near the village Arkhangelsk of Cherdaklinsky district were the bases for them. Students of the 3rd course set practical skills on agriculture on an agrobiological research station. There was a necessary stock, machines and the tractor for processing of field sites.

Students of the 3rd course reinforced practical skills in agriculture on an agrobiological research station. There was a necessary stock, machines and the tractor for processing of field sites.

In the same years for the first time, students began to do practical training in summer camps. They worked as youth leader, tutors and heads of sports work there.

In 1959-1960 academic year continuous educational practice for the first time was completely carried out. Students of 1-3 courses of all faculties during all academic year worked at schools as Pioneer leaders, heads of clubs, teachers’ assistants and teachers of primary school and class teachers.

Relations of higher education institution with schools of the city were strengthened. All departments had the plan of collaboration with basic school No. 1 of V. I. Lenin, gave help to teachers of other urban ad rural schools, participated in courses on retraining of teachers, held seminars with city and rural teachers, advised them, generalized and extended experience of the best teachers of the region.

Under the leadership of the senior teacher of department of physics R. M. Raznik in 1957 in case of the Ulyanovsk teacher's college the planetarium and the visual station of optical observation of artificial Earth satellites were created. It was one of the first stations organized by Academy of Sciences of the USSR on the territory of our country

There was found  the museum of zoology At the natural-geographical faculty. There was also a geological section with expositions of minerals and the paleontological remains in it. As well as the planetarium, the museum was annually visited by over 3 000 pupils of the city and region.

On the initiative of V. V. Blagoveschensky the department of botany started formation of a scientific herbarium of institute. In post-war years research work of students and teachers of institute camea to new level. In 1948 the first release of "Scientific notes" was published, many teachers worked and defended master's theses. N. P. Gritsenko, N. I. Nikolsky, R. E. Levina, A. W. Strauss and S. R. Yankelevich worked on doctoral dissertations.

In 195-1951 postgraduate studies  "Psychology and Zoology" - "Philosophy" were created at the Institute. In 1951/52 academic year there studied 11 postgraduate students. In 1954 associate professor A. W. Strauss began training of postgraduate students on one specialty — "Algebra and the mathematical analysis".  In 1959 the postgraduate study in the specialty of "Botanist" has opened (heads were associate professors V. V. Blagoveschensky and R. E. Levina).

By the beginning of the 60th years on all specialties the postgraduate studies had been completed by about 20 people, 7 of them had defended master's theses.

The publishing work of the Institute extended. In addition to "Scientists notes" were published the collections "Helps for the Teacher" and "Issues of education and training." In total in 1948-1961 years  17 volumes (30 releases) of "Scientific notes", 11 collections "Questions of Education and Training" and 3 — "For the aid to the teacher" have been published.

The number of graduated  teachers grew from year to year. If in 1950 they made 30%, in 1955 — 40%, then in 1958 they made 50%. By the time, the Institute had a scientific staff, capable to carry out the most complex educational and scientific objectives. Every year scientific-theoretical conference was held at the university, the work of USPI scientists regularly published in the local and national press. Students actively were involved in scientific work, there were opened scientific student clubs: historical, dialectological, botanical, physical, mathematical, foreign languages. The best scientific student's works were published in collections. Since 1956 more than 100 have been printed.

At institute, scientific expeditions began to be held annually: folklore, dialectological, archaeological, botanical, zoological, and geographical. Collected during these expeditions, the material was used in the students exchange and scientific papers. Thus, headed by Associate Professor P. S.Beysova the literary circle collected proverbs, songs throughout the Ulyanovsk region.

A lot of valuable material was collected during field practice by biologists, geographers, zoologists students. Students of physics and mathematics regularly carried out observations at the observatory for the artificial satellites. The results of observations transferred to Astronomical Council of Academy of Sciences of the USSR and they were highly appreciated.

Progress in scientific work of students of higher education institution became possible thanks to laborious work of teachers of institute with them: P. S. Beysov, V. V. Blagoveschensky, A. A. Lyubishchev, E. K. Varfolomeyeva, R. E. Levina, S. S. Gayniyev, T. D. Korneychik, A.S. Gorecki, I. S. Frolov, A. W. Strauss, R. A. Taubin, A. F. Kulagin, N. G. Levintov, N. B. Podvitsky, I. S. Romashin and others.  Many of their students enrolled in postgraduate school after graduation and defended their dissertations.

In 1970, the country celebrated the 100th anniversary of Lenin's birth. By that date, a number of buildings in Ulyanovsk has been built, including new building USPI, equipped with modern scientific and educational equipment. A lot of work these years was carried out on creation of new educational offices and laboratories, on introduction of technical means of training. Five language laboratories, offices of history of the CPSU and political economy, philosophy, physical training, the zoological museum, laboratory of educational cinema and television, photobusiness and the press have been created and equipped.

The institute was developed, the level of teaching, educational work raised, relations of higher education institution with bodies of national education, and schools were strengthened. Teachers of faculties and departments paid special attention to strengthening the professional orientation of students for work in rural schools and technical training colleges. In this regard, the system of special courses, special seminars and special practical works was reconsidered and specified.

In the mid-seventies the new form of communication of departments with rural schools was created.  It was the patronage of certain areas. Every year, at least twice, teams of 6-8 teachers from various departments visited the patronage districts and  provided practical assistance to teachers in all core subjects. That close relationship with the schools created a good basis for creative scientific research. Not by chance most of all developed master's theses were directly related to school issues Teaching aids of teachers of UGPI E. I. Nikitina, A. F. Solovyyov, V. I. Pirogov became irreplaceable assistants for each teacher of area. Many departments of institute actively studied, generalized and extended experience of the best teachers, problem laboratories on studying of professional skills were created.

Departments of the Institute took an active part in preparing and holding scientific and practical conferences, pedagogical readings, regional and inter-regional seminars.

The main work on improvement of teachers’ professional skills was conducted in the Institute of Advanced Training, in which each year from 90 to 110 teachers of Pedagogical Institute worked.

An important and effective work carried out by the People's University of pedagogical knowledge, created on the basis of Pedagogical Institute in the 1971-72 academic year. Annually more than 200 teachers studied at five of its faculties: organizers of out-of-class, preschool and professional work, class teachers and mathematics teachers in preparation for facultative classes. Research activity in the 70th years was characterized by a close relationship with with educational institutions, the check of teaching techniques directly in school practice, and also expansion of a research in the field of local lore and theoretical problems of science.

Wide scope those years was received also by scientific work of students: about 80 scientific student circles and more than 1 000 students worked. Besides, many students worked according to individual plans under the leadership of experienced teachers-tutors. It is remarkable that USPI was the center of intercollegiate student pedagogical readings named after I. Ulyanov.

Students of UGPI participated in scientific archaeological, folklore, dialectological, geographical, botanical and zoological expeditions. Traditional "Days of science" and "Days of the naturalist" became an effective form of activization of student's work.

In the 80 years, in difficult economic conditions, the institution not only did not lose its positions, but was able to strengthen its material and technical base, increased scientific capacity and provided high-quality training. In 1982, for the hard work in the preparation and training teaching staff Ulyanovsk Pedagogical Institute he was awarded the Order "Badge of Honor".

During those years, one of the main tasks of the Institute was the creation of educational, scientific and pedagogical complex, providing systematicity and continuity of the various levels of education. The complex "Nursery school-school-high school" was established in 1988. Its structure included: a kindergarten number 144 in Ulyanovsk, teaching classes in 16 rural and four urban schools, physical-mathematical Lyceum in Ulyanovsk, Dimitrovgrad Pedagogical Lyceum, Karsunsky rural lyceum. This system allowed to provide development of pre-university training, promoting enrollment of students who consciously aspired to the teaching profession. School teachers and employees of educational institutions had the opportunity to work in cooperation with leading scientists of pedagogical university and teachers of the university were able to learn the problems faced by the school.

In June, 1994 USPI received the status of university. It opened a new page in its history.

For eighty years, the university has trained more than 60,000 graduates. Most of them linked their lives and destiny with the school, other educational institutions. Annually to 60% of graduates fill up pedagogical staff of educational institutions of the Ulyanovsk region and other regions, and about 15% — enter the magistracy and a postgraduate study of higher education institution, remain to work in it. Today Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University is a single educational and scientific complex. It combines 10 faculties, 35 departments, department of additional occupations, the center of training and retraining, language and culture center, postgraduate and doctoral studies, research library, a cultural center and a sports camp, the center of public relations and TV studio production, training stations and many other facilities, offices, museums, laboratories and studios. The high level of university graduates at all times, provided high-quality teaching staff. Today it has more than 800 teachers and employees, including over 50 Professors, Doctors of Science, 250 assistant professors, PhDs, many of which are noted by the state, departmental or regional awards.

University leads not only the preparation of highly qualified specialists, but also develops and implements programs on retraining and advanced training teachers, guidance education workers and other professionals in the profile of the university educational programs, in accordance with the license and state legal documents in the sphere of additional professional education. In late 2011,  "Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University" became the winner of the tender on support of programs of a strategic development of state educational institutions of higher professional training.

The three critical areas have been identified in approved program of strategic development of the university: the development of educational and scientific activitiesand improving the infrastructure of the University. A number of measures planned and successfully implemented for their successful implementation: modernization of the research process, development of personnel potential and the formation of high-quality contingent of students, introduction of innovations, and improvement of infrastructure, organizational structure, and improving university management.

In December 2012 the Pedagogical University received a certificate of state accreditation for a period of six years.

October 5, 2012 the university held celebrations on the occasion of his 80th birthday. Analyzing the path traversed by the higher pedagogical institute in the eight decades, we can say with confidence: from first day of its foundation until today Ulyanovsk State Pedagogical University developed the uplink, absorbing all the best from the domestic practice of higher education and, at the same time and  bringing the contribution in pedagogical science. Timely responding to the the changing demands of teacher training, the university always aspired to high educational standards. He rightly bears the status of the oldest pedagogical university of the Volga region, combining the traditions of classical higher education with an innovative component of modern education.